OK--thinking out loud.

I was brought up to be snobby, but I always felt like I fought that snobbiness. (new word)


I'm better then these people who don't have as much STUFF as we do? 
Why?

I have a new bedroom suite-but he has a better father-son relationship.
I just got a brand new car-but both parents refused to show me how to drive.
I just got a new expensive haircut-but her and her mom go eat lunch together.
I got an A and got $5-but she brought home a B and got rewarded with actual love.

I'm supposed to date who? 
But he's rude. 
His parents are mean.
Oh wait--he has money. I see. Good quality to have I guess.

Who needs character when you have money?
Who needs God when you have money?
Who needs love when you have money--what? Money IS love?
Damn.
Why get your hands dirty when 'the little people' do that for you?

But sweety--have you SEEN his house? 
Blah! It's so....dirty. And not nice. 
Yeah? 
Well have you seen his heart? 
Have you listened to his short, yet tough life? 
Have you learned about his faith? 
Did you know her family would take me in?
Did you know her family taught me to hug?
Do you know I thought emotions were wrong?


Oh yeah...money is awesome. I forgot.
Who needs character when you have money.

While my friends spent summers playing outside, I was sent to Austin to work at the Capital. 
While I heard stories of Astroworld and Splashtown.....I was looking at model homes with grown-ups.
When you came back tan and tired from too much laughter...I could show you how to do data entry for a lawyer.


You see the pretty book covers. The fancy font. The posed photographs. 
I see the love of family. I see the joy of fatherhood. I see the helpful nature he has.
I actually read the pages of that book. 

But-dear teacher. You are learning. You are learning my taste. You are learning my style. 


I'm a white trash ghetto hippie in the middle of a middle class family. 


Comments